Thursday, September 30, 2010

Our Green Monster Duo


I can't thank my friend Jaime enough for introducing me to these green monsters!  I was very very...very hesitant to try these because a green drink doesn't exactly scream "taste me! taste meee!!!"  Ha Ha if anything it made me run the opposite direction.  The fact that my anti veggie hubby doesn't mind drinking these is proof you cannot taste the spinach in them.  They might be green but as far as I'm concerned green is the new black.  I guess that saying only counts in fashion, because there are no tasty black drinks I can refer to...but you get my point.  They are the shiznits!!  They originated from Angela who created these delicious nutritious smoothies and you can find all sorts of recipes on her site. She said once she started drinking these her face cleared up, her nails and hair grew stronger and seriously ladies, who does that not sound appealing to???  Sign me up! I started out with the virgin green monster which they say is a good beginners smoothie for someone who hasn't had one.  I added a splash of vanilla in mine and it was a tasty vanilla smoothie. You can find that recipe here.  You can pretty much mess around with this and add anything you think sounds yummy.  I made one adding peanut butter and honey and it is satisfies my sweet tooth along with giving me nutrients.  My hubby does not like peanut butter in smoothies so I make his with strawberries and a banana.  Hope you guys give these a try. They're perfect for on the go or when you're in a hurry.  Me and Hubby drink one before we do Cp to 5K and they fill us up and keep us energized!!

Ingredients for peanut butter banana green monster with raw honey:
(Put these ingredients in your blender in this order)
2 C spinach
1 banana
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp both flax seeds & chia seeds (optional)
1 1/2 C almond milk (you can sub skim milk)
Keep 1 cup ice cubes to the side for later.
Sorry for the weird alien sticker on the honey, had to cover the farm it's from so my location is kept a secret. muahahahahaha!! 
 Here are the flax and chia seeds I use. Again, totally optional.
 Everything layered and ready to go!
 Blend ingredients together on highest setting about 2 minutes until fully blended. Then go ahead and add your 1 cup of ice and blend another minute until no more chunks rolling around.
 Serve in glass and enjoy! This makes 1 serving in a huge cup.  I just put it in a pretty cup for pictures. :)  I just think of how proud I'm making Popeye right now. har har har.


Ingredients for Strawberry Banana Green Monster:
 (Place ingredients in blender in this order)
2 C spinach
1 banana
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 Tbsp of both chia and flax seeds (optional)
1 1/2 c almond milk (you can sub skim milk)
1 C ice kept to the side for later
 All layered and ready to go!  I sometimes add 1 Tbsp of honey to this before I blend it.  Hubby likes both ways.
 Blend for about 2 minutes on highest setting until fully blended, add your 1 cup of ice for another minute until chunks aren't flying around anymore.
 Pour in cup and Enjoy!!










No comments: