Saturday, September 11, 2010

SUPER EASY & delicious Irish shortbread cookies


Little by little I'll stop being lazy and blog on what I've made this summer.  I take all the pictures and they just keep adding up on my computer and I tell myself "I'll blog tomorrow."  hee hee. and that was 2 months ago. Sorry. Anyhoo... My hubby is a shortbread cookie fan so when I saw this recipe on the Martha Stewart show I knew it was a must try.  What can I say? This is the easiest cookie I have ever made. 3 ingredients and they just melt in your mouth.  The Irish butter definitely makes all the difference. With a higher fat content no wonder. Who doesn't like fat?  Everyone knows the fattier it is, the better it tastes.  My waistline is suffering from it but it was soo worth it. For something different, cut a hole in half before baking, sprinkle powdered sugar when done, fill with jam, put together and you have a yummy bite size jam cookie. I want to try making little tartlets with this recipe, I'll update you when that time comes. :)  Enjoy.
Makes about 3 dozen

 Ingredients
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) Irish unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low, slowly add flour. Continue mixing until dough comes together to form a ball.



Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thickness, dusting rolling pin with flour as necessary to prevent sticking.


Using a 2 1/4-inch round, fluted cutter, cut out dough. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. Gather up any scraps, gently re-roll, and repeat cutting process. Take care not to overwork dough.

Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until shortbread just begins to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Shortbread may be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Cookies will be same color coming out as they we're going into the oven. 

I bet these would be yummy dipped in chocolate too! tiny bite size ones with nutella in the middle? mMm..



No comments: