Monday, September 20, 2010

Husband Approved Yummy Zucchini Fries

 If you have that person in your life who does not like zucchini, make this for them!! They will love it! My husband is not a big fan of zucchini.  I usually have to cut it small and mix it in a dish or MASK it in butter. :) But since we're trying to eat healthy I need alternatives to get him to eat his veggies.  As some of you know I follow a weight watchers blog by Gina and have been dying to try this recipe since my first time finding her site.  On her site they're called baked zucchini sticks but when I put them on my husbands plate he said "Oh zucchini fries?" so I just stuck with that. His first bite was followed by praise mixed with profanity, so I know they we're hella good!!  These are so flavorful and low calorie it's seriously going to be a weekly side dish or the perfect snack. 1 whole zucchini is 1.33 pts! how can you beat that?  Gina has a recipe for a 1pt marinara but we're not big fans of marinara so I skipped that.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.  Another great way to get rid of those veggies that are crying to be saved. ;)


Servings: 3 servings Total Time: 25 minutes Points: 1.33 ww points (sauce extra pts)
  • 3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  • cooking spray
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt & fresh pepper  (which is the gramps on the toilet..thank my hubby for that one)
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper.

In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat.

Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. 

Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. and ENJOOOY!!!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Those look great, gotta make em'

Jaime said...

Man those look so good! I am going to have to make a batch this week!