Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spiced Chicken with cous cous, lentils and GARLIC!


I take advantage of when I don't have to cook for Mike. I can make meals he won't eat, such as lentils and cous cous with a cinnamon ginger spiced chicken. :) Sometimes I just crave something different, exciting and well, out of my norm. I was browsing my Rachel Ray magazine and came across this recipe. I saw cinnamon in the ingredients and thought "cinnamon and chicken?? do I dare?....Oh I double DAWG dare!" So the journey begins. recipe as follows.
Olive Oil
1 Tbl fresh grated ginger (I used ground ginger because that's all I had.)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Gramps salt and peppa
1 cup lentils
2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed.
1 whole onion, peeled and chopped
cous cous (prepare as directed on package)
chicken broth to use instead of water for cous cous.
4 chicken legs, cut into drumsticks and thighs.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. First bring 1 cup of lentils and the 2 cloves of garlic to a boil with enough water to cover the lentils. Mine have been boiling and lentils suck the water up, I'd probably add 11/2 cups of water and keep an eye on it.

While that's going go ahead and prepare your cous cous as directed with the chicken broth instead of water.
When the lentils are soft after about 20 minutes, drain them.
Meanwhile in a large bowl mix 5 Tbl olive oil, cinnamon and ginger.
Whisk together.
Cut chicken leg quarters.
Season with salt and pepper.
Toss in a large bowl to coat evenly.
Put oil in a saute pan over medium heat and throw chicken in there, about 8 minutes to get it brown and cripsy.
Repeat 8 minutes on the other side and then transfer to a baking dish. Put chicken in oven for about 15-20 minutes. I put sliced lemon around my chicken for extra flavor, plus I love lemon. :)
While that's going go ahead and place the drained lentils on top of your prepared cous cous
Mix well.
In another small saute pan over medium heat, cook your onions until nice and golden.
Pour onions on top of lentil cous cous mixture and fluff with fork.
Take chicken out of the oven and Enjoy with your cous cous.!

I really thought the chicken baked up nicely, and it was a nice change to add the cinnamon, however I do not think I will be adding cinnamon to my chicken dishes again. Or not add as much and put more ginger. lol. It tasted yummy but not my forte I guess. If you happen to try it let me know if you like the cinnamon. The cous cous lentil mix was hella good. I WILL make that again! very very tasty. I'll make baked chicken with lentil cous cous again but maybe stick to a ginger/soy sauce mixture...with lemon of course. :)

No comments: