Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chick in a basket, egg in a hole, pop eyes..the list goes on.


I was eating breakfast at a local restaurant with Mike and his parents. His mom proceeded to ask the owner if they have 'chick in a basket'.  They did not. My mother in law then started to describe what is was and suggested they put it on the menu. The owner replied that they have had the same thing on the menu before but they called it 'pop eyes' and said NO ONE ever ordered it and it did poorly on the menu.  I love Mikes mom. She then replied with "well maybe if you had named it chick in a basket, it would've sold better." Bwuahahaha!! In your face restaurant owner!!!  So needless to day since that experience I was DYING to try this infamous chick in a basket! My friend Pam told me about a cook book by Ree Drummond called "The Pioneer Woman Cooks, recipes from an accidental country girl."  it is filled with step by step instructions and photos and has yummy entrees like....what?...you guessed it!! CHICK IN A BASKET!!! Mike is a 'scrambled eggs' kind of guy...but I thought I'd test it out anyways...Holy Cow...He Loved it so much he requested seconds!! recipe as follows. 

Ingrients:
Any bread of your choice, we had white bread on hand
Butter
Large eggs
Salt n Peppa (In my case it's gramps on the flusher.)
Start with your piece of bread and with your choice of shape cutter, cut a hole in the center of the bread.
Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat, then place the bread in the skillet and allow it to soak up the butta!
After 1 minute, crack a large egg into the hole. Hence the name "egg in a hole."
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Throw in another tablespoon of butter because c'mon...who doesn't like butter?  not me!


With a spatula, flip to the other side. Move the bread around the skillet to let it soak up the butter.
 I personally prefer eggs over easy. I do love scrambled but there's something about the combo of toast and runny eggs...it's just delicious and comforting and well ....daaaamn good!!  This was soo yummy having the egg IN the toast. lol. Essentially you could just cook an egg and put it over toast, but this way is muuuch better with the buttery bread and crispy edges. Deeelish!!  I think this will be a regular breakfast item in this house. I finally got Mike to eat runny eggs! only took me 5 1/2 years!! He's very stubborn but that's another blog. :-)

Serve on plate and enjoy!!

No comments: