Monday, April 5, 2010

low carb spaghetti squash with italian sausage and spinach

So if you're looking for a low carb dinner and have already tried the low carb pizza on my blog, look no further.  I got my Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine (another fave of mine) in the mail today and came across this yummy recipe. It's super simple, budget friendly and totally figure friendly. :) recipe as follows

Ingredients:
Spaghetti Squash
salt and peppa (the grandpa on the toilet represents that...blame my husband.)
crushed red pepper
sweet italian sausage (I used turkey sausage to shave some calories.)
EVOO
Parmesan cheese
spinach

Cut your squash in half and take a spoon to scrape out inside brains and seeds just like you would a pumpkin.
Take the half, cut side down put on a microwaveable dish. Add 1/2 cup water and microwave until tender 10-15 minutes.  Repeat with remaining squash half.
Using a fork comb the squash into strands into a bowl.
Toss spaghetti squash with Parmesan and season with black pepper.
I added butter to the shredded squash because butter equals happiness.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium high heat.  Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
When the sausage is no longer pink, add the spinach and crushed red pepper. Mix until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Serve over squash and enjoy!
Who needs high carb spaghetti when you can eat this low carb very yummy dish!?!?...I'd like to try it again adding garlic and maybe some different cheeses in the mix. definitly a keeper and adding to my rotation. If you try it let me know what you think, or what changes you made for new ideas. :) Hope you like it!

No comments: