Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Who says Pumpkin is only for the holidays? Pumkpin Creme Brulee. yay!


I am boooored out of my mind and like I stated in an earlier blog, I still have a butt ton of ingredients for different desserts I was planning on making for the in laws. So I figured, why not make a delectable treat for myself? I know the holidays are over and most people think of pumpkin as a Thanksgiving treat, but I'll go ahead and break the mold and make a pumpkin desert in March! I was browsing online and this recipe happened to catch my eye, I left it as is, I like trying recipes first before adding my own touches. I will add that making this recipe made me want to try a sweet potato version, and brulee the marshmallows on top as well as the sugar.! YuM YumS!! I think I will be doing a Smore's creme brulee this weekend. That recipe I'll dibble dabble with and come up with myself. Test my skills. lol. This recipe was divine, the only thing I'd change is more sugar personally. But it is still delicious as is if you're a pumpkin fan. My dogs really enjoyed it too!..I'm only kidding, I wouldn't give them my pumpkin creme SILLY!! I gave them a piece of chocolate instead. I heard Dogs Loove chocolate. :)  recipe as follows

Ingredients:
2 C heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla
8 egg yolks
1/3 C sugar
1 C pureed pumpkin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 C sugar (for caramelized tops)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together heavy creme, vanilla, egg yolks, sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Blend well. Strain into a large bowl to remove foam or bubbles.
(I totally forgot to take a picture of straining the mix, so I used the one from the recipe I found)
Divide the mixture into 6-8 ramekins. Place in baking dish...(because it's just me I didn't care they we're a little tilted, my mom always said things taste better when they're tilted...must be an Asian thing...that's a total lie by the way.)

Pour hot water in the baking dish until it reaches half way up the ramekins to create a 'water bath'. Put in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until edges are firm but center is still loose.

remove from water bath VERY carefully and place in fridge to cool for about 2-4 hours, or overnight.  When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard. Caramelize sugar (I used my little torch, but you can place in broiler).  If using a torch, move it around in small circles trying not to concentrate in one spot causing it to burn. Think of Mr Miyagi, wax on, wax off. :) very good grass hoppa!! I like to place it back in the fridge for about 6 minutes before serving. The top stays hard and the creme firms up again after being bruleed. Some like creme brulee room temp. I love it cold!! 
There you've got it! Such a sweet treat to be having in March. Pumpkin Lovers, this is a superb treat. I give it 9 stars.

No comments: