Sunday, January 30, 2011

chocolate ganache frosting


I offered to make cupcakes for our friends birthday and when asked what his favorite flavor was he said chocolate.  I couldn't decide on chocolate buttercream or chocolate ganache frosting because I've made neither. I chose the frosting with the least ingredients soooo..... the ganache won.  This is seriously the easiest chocolate frosting recipe.  You literally just make the ganache and whip it after it cools.  I will however warn you it is suuuper rich.  It's definitely for the chocolate lover's out there!!

recipe adapted from cooksillustrated.com

Ingredients

1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate , chopped

Instructions

  1. 1. Bring cream to boil in small saucepan or in microwave. Place chocolate in medium bowl and pour boiling cream over. Cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool and slightly firm, 45 minutes to 1 hour.




  2. 2. Transfer cooled chocolate mixture to bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment; whip mixture at medium speed until fluffy and mousse-like and forms medium-stiff peaks, about 2 minutes.
 I used the paddle attachment because I couldn't find my whisk attachment.  Keep whipping until your desired consistency is met.  I left mine a little stiff because I knew it would soften up on our hour and a half car ride to the birthday boy's house.  And I was right. lol.  My little ridges in the frosting softened slightly and looked smooth by the time we got to his house. 


Hope you enjoy this easy recipe!

No comments: